Politics World

Tripoli wants unconditional talks with the United States

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Libya is ready to hold more talks with the United States and the rebels, but Gaddafi will not give in to requests for departure from power, said a spokesman for the government in Tripoli.

Ibrahim Moussa described as “productive dialogue” meeting between Libyan officials and U.S. envoys in Tunisia last week, shortly after Washington’s recognition of the insurgents, who want to end the 41-year reign of Libyan.

“Further meetings in the future, contribute to the Libyan problem solving,” said the spokesman Friday night in Tripoli. “We mean more to Americans.”

NATO aircraft bombed the Libyan capital on the night, causing damage and casualties, according to Libyan state television, which did not provide details.

NATO claims to have hit a “central command and control”.

A Reuters reporter heard at least six explosions on Saturday, the most important for weeks. Four of them shook the hotel where the international media are housed.

For the head of the National Transitional Council (CNT), Moustafa Abdel Jalil, Muammar Gaddafi has publicly accept to withdraw prior to any negotiation.

“There will be no negotiation with the regime as long as he (Gaddafi) has not announced his departure and that he and his son give up power,” says he in a statement released by the rebels TV .

After five months of civil war and bombings, NATO members seem more and more tempted by a negotiated solution. The United States and France, however, believe that Gaddafi must relinquish power.

According to Moussa Ibrahim, Libyan officials are willing to negotiate with the rebels, who control nearly half the country, but only to the conditions of the government.

“States do not negotiate with gangs,” he said. Muammar Gaddafi himself has encouraged his countrymen to convince the rebels to disarm.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS