Norway: Breivik on the island of Utoya for a reconstruction of the massacre

On Saturday Anders Breivik Behring was taken to the island of Utoya for a reconstruction of the massacre in which he confessed to killing 69 people shot on July 22, Norwegian police reported on Sunday.

The Norwegian 32-year-old also admitted to being the perpetrator of the suicide car bomb that had killed eight people on the same day in the district government headquarters in Oslo, the capital where a total of 77 people were murdered.

The 32-year-old described the killings in close detail during an eight-hour tour on the island, prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a press conference in Oslo.

The Norwegian newspaper VG has released images of the reconstruction, surrounded by heavy security. Breivik, wearing a bulletproof vest and a harness attached to a tether held by a police officer arrived on the island of Utoya, 40 km from Oslo, on the same ship as July 22. Seen designate various locations on the island, and simulate firing towards the water, where the victims were thrown in an attempt to escape.

The reconstruction was filmed by investigators and images will be used at trial, said the prosecutor. He said Breivik was asked “for about 50 hours on the facts, and was always calm, clear and cooperative. This was the case in Utoya “Saturday.

According to the suspect’s lawyer, Breivik acknowledges the facts, but pleaded not guilty to terrorist crime because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe from Muslims and punish politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.

The police work in question

Anders Breivik posed as a police officer July 22 on the island of Utoya where were gathered the young supporters of the ruling Labor Party. The police arrested him more than an hour after the start of the massacre. The slowness of the police to intervene was the subject of criticism in Norway and the protection of government buildings in the capital.

Attorney Hjort Kraby confirmed press reports that police officers had received several phone calls from Breivik himself during the attack. According to the newspaper Aftenposten, Breivik proposed to visit several times and asked the police to remember what they did not. The prosecutor did not comment.

The Norwegian press has also reported that Breivik could have filmed himself some moments of the killing. M. Hjort Kraby said that the issue of a video camera was raised during questioning, without providing further details.

Breivik faces up to 21 years in prison if he is convicted on terrorism charges, but an alternative custody arrangement — if he is still considered a danger to the public — could keep him behind bars indefinitely.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS