World

Chavez out of his silence over the phone after one week

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has cancer treated in Cuba, was released Friday from a week of silence during a call made to state television in which he sang a song and said they wanted to deepen his “revolution” socialist.

His periods of absence from the public scene are longer and more frequent, fueling suspicions about the worsening health status and ability to run for the presidential election scheduled Oct. 7.

“Unfortunately, I can not continue to be the spirited horse I was before. I’ll rest and go back better,” he said by telephone, speaking in a firm voice.

“I did not used to sleep. Now I work as required by law, only eight hours a day. I ask God every day to let me finish the mission that People have given me. ”

Hugo Chavez has only two public appearances since mid-April, with a half an hour a week ago on his return from Cuba, where he had undergone radiotherapy sessions.

Cancer detected last year is the focus of many rumors that eat very discreet communication power of the Venezuelan state of health. Only a few details were disclosed, including the fact that Chavez has undergone three operations to remove malignant tumors in his pelvis.

Changes in health status can have huge implications for Venezuela, Chavez runs for thirteen years without raises a hand to his potential successor.

The Venezuelan president declared himself “completely cured” at the end of 2011.  But after several rounds of chemotherapy, surprising the nation last month when he said the cancer had reappeared and needed another operation.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS