US President Barack Obama on Thursday announced a pause in the withdrawal US troops in Afghanistan, previously scheduled by the end of 2016. A decision that still continues military intervention that began 14 years ago.
The approximately 9,800 soldiers still present on site will remain for most of 2016, before moving to a workforce of some 5,500 soldiers by the end of next year or early 2017, said Obama, speaking about it for the White House in 11 local time (17 hours French time).
So far, the Obama administration hoped to leave the end of 2016 a residual force of about a thousand men at the embassy in Kabul.
US troops remain so involved in two missions: training Afghan troops and prevent terrorism of Al Qaeda, said Barack Obama
Afghan forces “still not enough. strong “
US President justified his decision by explaining that Afghan forces were” not strong enough “to ensure the stability of the country, stressing that it was foreseeable that the Taliban benefit this transition period to strengthen their positions and warning against a “risk of deterioration in some places.”
This change of US forces withdrawal schedule can make a “real difference”, he assured, displaying its commitment to not let Afghanistan be a “haven for terrorists”.
The US State direcetement leader is then sent to the “men in uniform”. “I know that means some of you will return to Afghanistan. (…) I know the price of war,” he told the soldiers, “but I know that this mission is vital to our national security. ”
” it is the thing to do, “added Obama. “May God continue to bless the United States of America.”
Share and Enjoy