NEW YORK — New York prosecutors have agreed to release former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn without bail on Friday after major questions about his accuser’s credibility were uncovered, sources told The Associated Press.
If the judge agrees, Strauss-Kahn would be freed “on his own recognizance,” meaning he would have his $1 million bail and $5 million bond returned, according to Bloomberg, citing two sources familiar with the case.
The former head of the International Monetary Fund has been free on $1 million bail under house arrest since May. Releasing him without bail signals that the accusations of sexual assault may be less serious than thought.
The case against Strauss-Kahn, 62, neared collapse after investigators raised serious questions about the credibility of his accuser, who is a New York hotel maid. They believe the woman lied about some of her activities in the hours around the alleged attack and about her own background, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press. The official is familiar with the case but spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss matters not yet made public in court.
Strauss-Kahn arrived at the courthouse Friday morning from a Lexus SUV and strode confidently up the granite steps with his wife, French journalist Anne Sinclair, at his side. He wore a dark gray suit, and she a white jacket.
Strauss-Kahn lawyer William W. Taylor would say only that the hearing was to review the bail plan. The Manhattan district attorney’s office declined to comment.
Strauss-Kahn was a steward of the world economy and a leading candidate for the French presidency, when he was arrested on May 14 and charged with attempting to rape a woman in a $3,000-a-night hotel suite in New York.
Prosecutors think she lied about details on her application for asylum in the U.S., including saying she had been raped in her native Guinea, the official told the AP.
Follow link to see the Video: