1. On this day in 1621, the ship Fortune set sail from Plymouth Colony.
2. 1636. In the Massachusetts Colony organized three militia regiments to defend against the Indians. Later, these became the basis for the formation of the U.S. National Guard.
3. 1809. Dr. Ephraim McDowell (Ephraim McDowell) from Denvillya, State, Kentucky, conducted the first U.S. surgery to remove ovarian tumors. His 45-year-old patient after surgery, lived another 33 years. A woman, without any anesthetic was removed tumor weighing 22 pounds (10 kg).
4. 1816. John Adamson (John Aadamson) from Boston, Mass., has patented a dry dock for ship repairs.
5. 1893., Opened the first U.S. laboratory for diagnosis of tuberculosis in New York. It worked under the command of Dr. Hermann Michael Biggs (Hermann Michael Biggs).
6. 1918. U.S. President Woodrow Wilson (Woodrow Wilson) came to France to negotiate a cessation of the First World War and advancing the idea of the League of Nations.
7. 1957. In Brooklyn (New York) was born actor Steve Bassemi (Steve Buscemi) (see photo). He played in the film “Reservoir Dogs”, “Pulp Fiction,” “Fargo,” “Con Air”, “Big Lebowski,” “The Island”. A few interesting facts about the actor: in 2003 he was arrested during a protest against the closure of several Brooklyn fire station, on the day of the fall of the WTC towers came as a volunteer in the part where he once worked as a firefighter.
8. 1967. In Terrell, Texas, was born Eric Marlon Bishop (Eric Marlon Bishop), now known as the actor Jamie Foxx (Jamie Foxx). He starred in the film “Ali,” “Collateral,” “Stealth,” “Miami morals.” A few interesting facts about Fox in January 2006 left in one of Los Angeles bars … $ 1,000 tip one dollar, at school, when students in a class of well-behaved, as they were allowed to listen to award Fox jokes that he invented himself.
9. 1978. In the appeal went out dollar featuring Susan Anthony (Susan Anthony) – defender of women’s rights. It was the first U.S. coin with a profile representative of the beautiful half of humanity.
10. 2003. In Iraq, U.S. forces found and detained the former head of the country – Saddam Hussein.