GRS, three letters for rhythmic gymnastics. Initials that have longer needed, since the name of discipline is just now for 13 years, Rhythmic Gymnastics. Bases, although they are based on dance, in fact cover several specialties. Rope, hoop, ball, clubs or ribbon, that’s five “gears” (their name on it) that are biased to the flexibility, endurance and precision.
Although it is open to all, rhythmic gymnastics remains an almost exclusively female. Individual or group, fans of dance and choreography will be found in the sport.
They can start very early at the age of 6 years.
The qualities required are flexibility and coordination. The practice also increases the motility, concentration and sense of rhythm. Furthermore, a study in Greece has already shown the benefits of this discipline on bone mineral density (BMD) of adolescents. However, the five gears that make up the rhythmic gymnastics are not sports the work in the same way:
– The rope work is the technique of jumping. The main difficulty in this specialty lies in the fact that the gymnast must constantly be in motion. As you can see, the rope can develop endurance and relaxation;
– The hoop. That is probably the most complete machine. Handling develops dexterity, as many are taken and changes made very frequent. The practice of the hoop also imposes a perfect blend of flexibility, jumps and balance;
– The ball. Flexibility and precision are the watchwords of the specialty. The ball is indeed very difficult to handle because it can not be grabbed and stay balanced on the hand of the gymnast. It can also run on body, bounce or be launched;
– The clubs. It is the oldest craft. There are two, one for each hand. Good timing is essential;
– Ribbon. Such equipment shall be constantly in motion. This makes it difficult to achieve a perfect gesture. This is the specialty most graceful but also one of the most difficult to control. Precision and concentration are a must, especially since the sheer length of the tape (between 4m and 7m) sometimes leads to the formation of knots …