CARACAS, Venezuela – Venezuelan security forces announced that they had found the Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos safe two days after his abduction, said the Venezuelan Minister of Information Andres Izarra on Friday.
The circumstances of his release remain unclear. Mr. Izarra, however, said on his Twitter account that Ramos had been found “in a mountainous region.”
Mr. Izarra said it was a “rescue airborne,” which had been approved earlier Friday by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. On Friday evening the state television reported that three men had been arrested in connection with kidnapping. The Minister of Justice Tareck El Aissami confirmed the arrests in the late evening.
On Wednesday the recipient of 24 years had been kidnapped by gunmen while discussing with friends and relatives at his mother’s house in Valencia, Venezuela. On Thursday the authorities said they had found the sport utility vehicle (SUV) used by the kidnappers abandoned in a surrounding city.
On Wednesday the kidnapping of night was the first to occur at the expense of a player’s Major League baseball in a country where dozens of players broke through the various configurations of circuit Selig. The event also highlighted the increasing violence in that country in South America.
Baseball fans of Venezuela and Washington have held candlelight vigils and prayed for the release of Ramos in the last few days.