The Japanese government acknowledged for the first time as leukemia a worker of the Fukushima accident was due to radiation, said Tuesday the Department of Health.
So far, even though other former workers of the Fukushima Site Daiichi trashed by the tsunami on March 11, 2011 in the Northeast, could develop cancer, it is the first time that exposure to radioactivity at the site is officially implicated in triggering the disease.
“This case fulfills the conditions” for recognition, said a ministry official told a news conference in Tokyo. The former worker was thirty when he worked from October 2012 to December 2013 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. He also spent several months earlier on a different nuclear site.
In addition to this initial recognition, three cases are still being examined, the ministry who had previously rejected several other dossiers submitted by former workers.
Three of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi had entered into merger a few hours after the deadly tidal wave that devastated the northeast coast of the archipelago there are four and a half years. Hydrogen explosions were then produced, destroying buildings and the site of very large amounts of radioactive elements escaped.
Thousands of workers took turns daily on site since to regain control of the facilities, set up emergency means to cool the reactors and water, remove contaminated debris, trying to manage Hundreds of thousands of tons of radioactive water and prepare decommissioning.
The annual limit of exposure of workers had occasionally been high during the peak of the crisis, before being brought back to a more normal level for workers in the sector.